the mix and match project was conceived by myself and chris schooley as a way of friends working collaboratively to educate ourselves and others about music. it started very simply: an exchange of mix cd's and coffee. then we talked more about it and decided to include more people, in an effort to make the result (hopefully) at least somewhat entertaining.

Friday, December 15, 2006

Submissions brought to you by Joe...

This volume has been one of the tougher ones because there are so many songs that I want to put on but due to time constraints it is simply impossible. Oh the humanity (mortality) of not having enough time!!

Anyway, thanks Mike for not making this volume a christmas theme. I love Christmas as much as the next guy, but it I have to hear Bing Crosby's rendition of "Here Comes Santa Clause" one more time I think I'll get violently ill a la A Clockwork Orange. Ok, maybe not that bad, but its possible.

Cream - Crossroads
I'm not much of a Clapton fan, but this song is awesome. It really needs no introduction, so I wont give one.

Diamond In Your Mind - Solomon Burke
Originally written by Tom Waits, Burke really breathes life into this song. Recorded for his 2002 album, Don't Give Up On Me, this song makes me think of someone sitting on a step thinking "How can it possibly get any worse?" Well, it's always darkest before the dawn, or as TD likes to say "It's better than pushin' up daisies..."

Bad Astronaut - The "F" Word
This song comes off their third and final album, Twelve Small Steps, One Giant Dissapointment. A side project for Lagwagon frontman Joey Cape, this album is very touching as the drummer for Bad Astronaut, Derrick Plourde, decided to take his own life in 2005. Cape decided to go on and finish the album without him as a final farewell. I believe this is one of the songs that was finished without him, as the lyrics deal with being alone in the world without his friend. I feel as though I'm looking straight into Cape's soul through this song. Deep...painful...mortal...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Performancing