the mix and match project was conceived by myself and chris schooley as a way of friends working collaboratively to educate ourselves and others about music. it started very simply: an exchange of mix cd's and coffee. then we talked more about it and decided to include more people, in an effort to make the result (hopefully) at least somewhat entertaining.

Thursday, November 16, 2006

Mix & Match Vol. 4- submissions from the Prof.

You can't go home again.
My hometown was recently in the news again. A large Crystal Meth ring was busted for smuggling their product in Extreme Tickle-Me Elmo dolls, so I guess I know what I'm getting for Xmas. Greeley, Colorado might be familiar to those of you who read Fast Food Nation as having one of the nation's largest feedlots, slaughterhouses, and meat-packing plants. They burn the blood and remains on Thursday, every other day it just smells like money.

Grizzly Bear - Colorado
This is a fairly brand new song, but it sends me swirling back to that summer and autumn that I haunted the Poudre Canyon. The Milky Way, Mountain Lions, burnt forest, and weeks on end living inside of the clouds. And then coming back down the mountain to Greeley and those months that I asked myself "What now?".

Melvin Van Peebles - Come On Feet
Sweet Sweetback says run goddammit. The next Autumn I moved to Chicago. Must have run all day.

Sly and the Family Stone - Runnin' Away
Finally you run far enough and you can see clearly. You can't go home again, but you're gonna have to sooner or later. Hopefully before then you've gotten new shoes and paid the dues. Remember, it's a longer trip back home.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Performancing